Customize these easy & delicious bars with favorite flavors, fruits, and nuts... then ditch the packaged bars on your next trip!
Adapted from Mollie Katzen’s Sunlight Café
Makes a 9" x 13" pan of bars
1 cup soy protein powder
½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups rolled oats
½ cup oat bran
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¾ teaspoon salt
½ cup brown sugar (packed)
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 ½ cups whole milk yogurt (flavored or plain)
¼ cup safflower/canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup dried fruit (cherries, cranberries, apricots, pears, or your favorite - chop coarsely if pieces are large)
1 cup nuts (almond, hazelnuts, pistachios, cashews, or your favorite - chop coarsely if pieces are large)
- Add ¼ cup cocoa powder, reduce flour by an equal amount
- Replace the yogurt with silken tofu for a vegan option
1) Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly coat a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with oil.
2) In a large bowl, mix together the protein powder, flour, oats, oat bran, & cinnamon. Crumble in the brown sugar, then add the fruit, nuts, and chocolate.
3) In a medium bowl, mix the yoghurt, oil, and vanilla extract until combined.
4) Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together until fully incorporated. The dough will be very thick and you might need to use your hands to get it to come together.
5) Transfer the dough into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Bake for 45 minutes.
6) Let cool in baking dish.
7) Once cooled, cut the bars to the desired size (~3" squares are typical for us). Store in freezer for longest shelf life, or enjoy on your next trip.