Creamy Indian lentils & kidney beans over rice
Adapted from 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer
2 cups split black lentils (urad dal)
½ cup ginger, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 x 15oz can kidney beans
1 cup whole milk plain yogurt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 t coarse sea salt
2 t Garam Masala
¼ t cayenne
4 T finely chopped fresh cilantro.
Cooked basmati rice
1) Wash and drain the lentils 2-3 times in the pot. Add 4-5 cups water bring to a boil.
2) Once boiling, add the garlic and ginger and reduce heat to medium. Simmer until the dal is tender, adding 1 more cup water if needed. (30-45 minutes)
3) While the lentils are cooking, mix the yogurt, heavy whipping cream, salt, garam masala, and cayenne together (an immersion stick blender works well).
4) When the lentils are done, add the kidney beans and yogurt sauce and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
5) Add the cilantro to lentil mixture. Pour over rice, spread onto trays, and dehydrate at 155F until dry.